HOME SCHOOLING PROCEDURES
If a parent is requesting to begin a home schooling program for their child or children, the following documentation must be submitted to the Pupil Personnel Department in the South Fayette School District.
· A notarized affidavit of the supervisor of the home schooling program must be submitted annually. The affidavit must be notarized on an annual basis before August 1st of each school year if the parent intends on continuing to enroll their child or children in a home schooling program.
· An outline of the proposed objectives that pertain to the child’s grade level that are in compliance with Pennsylvania State Department Education needs to be submitted annually. The objectives must be submitted before the start of the school year.Photocopies of the student’s immunization and health records must be submitted when applying for a home schooling program. This documentation can remain in the student’s home schooling file maintained by the District. There are existing annual health screenings as required by the Pennsylvania Department of Education. This information is outlined on the Pennsylvania Department of Education website.
· Photocopies of the supervisor’s high school diploma must be submitted when applying for a home schooling program. Photocopies of post graduate diplomas may also be included. This documentation does not need to be submitted on an annual basis.
· A portfolio must be compiled and submitted to the Pupil Personnel Department before June 30th of each school year. The portfolio must contain several work samples from each required subject area to provide evidence that an appropriate home education program was conducted. The portfolio shall consist of a log, which designates by title the reading materials used, samples of writings, worksheets, workbooks, or creative materials used or developed by the student.Students in grades 3, 5, and 8 must have results from nationally normed standardized achievement tests included in the portfolio.
· The portfolio must be evaluated by a certified teacher by the commonwealth. A written evaluation shall accompany the portfolio when submitted by the parent(s). The certified teacher shall have experience at the elementary level to evaluate elementary students. Additionally, the secondary teacher shall have experience at the secondary level to evaluate secondary level students. The requirements of the evaluator are outlined on the Pennsylvania Department of Education website.
· If the portfolio meets the requirements set forth by the Pennsylvania Department of Education, an administrator from the District will sign off on the home schooling checklist that was created by the South Fayette School District.
· Once the portfolio is approved and the home schooling checklist is signed by an administrator, the portfolio will be returned to the parents.
· If it is determined that an appropriate home schooling program was not conducted, then the District may decide to follow procedures that our outlined on the Pennsylvania State Department of Education website, which could culminate in a hearing if necessary between the parent and the District.
Parents or guardians in Pennsylvania are able to home school their children as an option to compulsory school attendance. This law specifies the requirements and responsibilities of the parents and the school district where the family lives. Parents interested in a home education program for their children need to submit the following to the superintendent’s office:
1. A notarized affidavit of the supervisor of a home education program
2. Outline of proposed objectives as specified by Home Education Law
3. Photocopies of the student’s immunization and health records
4. Photocopies of the supervisor’s high school diploma and post graduate diplomas, if applicable.
Upon review and acceptance of the application, home school supervisors must maintain a portfolio of the student’s work and a log of instructional hours, as specified in the Home Education Law. Students in grades 3, 5, and 8 must be administered a nationally normed standardized achievement test. Results of the test should be included in the home education portfolio. At the end of each school year, the portfolio must be reviewed by a certified homes school evaluator, as specified in the Home Education Law. The portfolio and evaluation report should be submitted to the district’s Home School Coordinator by the end of June of each year. The portfolio is reviewed to assure than an appropriate home education program is being conducted.
Home education procedures, laws, and applications can be found on the Pennsylvania Department of Education website. Questions regarding homes education may also be directed to Gretchen Tucci , Home School Coordinator, at (412) 221-4542, extension 415.