Updated South Fayette Township School District attendance procedures
This is to notify you of changes in the South Fayette Township School District attendance procedures. With amendments to the Pennsylvania Department of Education Truancy laws it was necessary for South Fayette to make changes to their practices and procedures.
Effective for the 2017-2018 school year the following absence procedures will be in place:
- At the occurrence of the 3rd unexcused absences, a certified letter will be issued to the parent/guardian. At the High School level, student drivers will lose driving privileges.
- At the occurrence of the 4th unexcused absence, a School Attendance Improvement Conference will be scheduled. Parents/Guardians will receive a certified letter and phone call regarding the scheduling of the School Attendance Improvement Conference.
- At the occurrence of the 6th unexcused absence and following the School Attendance Improvement Conference, a referral will be made to a community-based Attendance Program or to CYF AND charges will be filed with the District Magistrate.
- At the occurrence of the 10th total absence (unexcused and excused), a letter will be sent from the principal and a doctor’s note (or other documentation of a legal absence) will be required for every subsequent absence. Without this documentation, all absences from this point forward are considered unexcused.
- At the occurrence of the 15th total absence (unexcused and excused), the parent will be notified and a referral will be made to the District Magistrate.
- At the occurrence of the 20th total absence (unexcused and excused), an Attendance Hearing will be held to consider retention in the current grade.
For future reference, this information can be found in the school’s student handbook.
Thank you for your cooperation with this matter.