Commencement & Senior Class Celebrations
April 16, 2020
Dear Parents & Guardians,
With Governor Wolf’s mandate closing all schools for the rest of the academic year, the South Fayette Township School
District’s campus will remain closed and all scheduled activities will be cancelled. However, the District will continue
with “Continuity of Education” through planned instruction with its online/digital learning program, and the school
calendar will be honored with the last day of school being June 4, 2020. The last day for seniors will be May 29, 2020.
Class of 2020 Celebrations
The state-wide school closure impacts all students, but in particular, it truly impacts our seniors--the Class of 2020. All
seniors will graduate as long as they have completed all of their graduation requirements. In lieu of the traditional senior
festivities, the following celebrations will take place:
- Alternate Commencement Ceremony (July 16, 2020): If restrictions for large group gatherings and social
distancing are lifted by Governor Wolf, and it is deemed safe for the well being of all participants by the
District, Commencement for the Class of 2020 will be held July 16, 2020. Mandatory Commencement practice
will be held on July 14 and 15 in the High School Gym. If it is necessary to cancel the alternate commencement
ceremony, we will hold a virtual graduation ceremony on July 16, 2020.
- Alternate Prom Date: If restrictions for large group gatherings and social distancing are lifted by Governor
Wolf, and it is deemed safe for the well being of all participants by the District, Prom will be held Tuesday,
July 21. More information will be provided.
- Digital Celebration of the Class of 2020: Through a digital program entitled FlipGrid, each student in the Class
of 2020 will send a message to their classmates through a short video. Students will respond to predetermined
prompts and have the opportunity to congratulate their classmates. Further information will be forthcoming
from Ms. Aileen Owens, Director of Technology and Innovation.
- Personal Acknowledgement: Personalized yard signs for each student will be delivered/dropped off at the
graduate’s home address. The same will be done for all spring sports athletes, which will feature each studentathlete’s name and sport.
- Senior Gift/Keepsake: Each Senior will receive a small gift commemorating their time at South Fayette.
- Senior Inspirational Message: Each year, Mr. Penny Semaia, Senior Associate Athletic Director of Student Life
at the University of Pittsburgh, shares a motivational and inspirational presentation to our Seniors. This year, he
will share this message with our seniors virtually.
- Daily High School Staff Video Message: Each day beginning this week, the high school will be sharing a video
created by a high school staff member as a way to send positivity and well wishes to the student body.
- Mini-Thon Seniors Tribute: Seniors will be celebrated during the District’s Virtual Mini-Thon. More details
will be forthcoming from Mr. Flannery, Mini-Thon Sponsor.
- Senior Spirit Week: Student Government will be organizing a virtual “Senior Spirit Week” from June 1-5. More
information will be forthcoming from the Student Government.
- Senior Congratulatory Video: A congratulatory video consisting of staff messages and congratulations will be
published and shared virtually.
- Spring Sports/Activities Video Montage: A “Senior Spring Sports and Activities Montage Video” will also be
compiled. Student pictures will be organized by sport/activity.
- Virtual Baccalaureate Ceremony: A virtual baccalaureate ceremony is currently being explored as a
- Class of 2020 Night at Fall Football Game: The District will celebrate the Class of 2020 at a home football
game this fall. The date is to be announced.
Additional celebrations may be added.
Class of 2020 Additional Information:
- Transcript Requests: Seniors will be sent a “senior exit survey” during the first week of May to collect
important information and to determine where they would like their final transcripts sent. This information will
be used by the counseling department to send transcripts to various institutions either electronically or by U.S.
- Best of Our Best Awards: All awards will be mailed and a list of awardees will be posted on the District
- Student Leadership Awards: All awards will also be mailed and an awardee list will be posted on the District
- Distribution of Caps & Gowns, Collection of Computers, and Senior Gear: Information will be provided in
the near future once campus restrictions are lifted.
We are committed to celebrating and honoring our seniors as they transition to the next phase of their lives. The COVID19 global pandemic is of historical significance, and so is the Class of 2020. Our hearts go out to our seniors, who are persevering and overcoming obstacles that classes before them have never encountered.
We will continue to update the community throughout this crisis. Be safe and well.
Dr. Ken Lockette, Superintendent of Schools